Let Maenner Minnich help you with your child custody questions.

Any time you are going through a divorce with children, or when you have children outside of marriage and are establishing custody for the first time, there are two kinds of custody that the Court will determine: legal custody and physical custody.  Legal custody is the right to participate in the big decisions for your child.  This is generally in the areas of education, religion and medical.  Legal custody generally will be shared by the parents absent certain circumstances.

Physical custody is where your child is day-to-day.  This can be joint or sole to one parent.  The designation of physical custody used to carry more importance in Minnesota, but now the most important part of this is the parenting time schedule that you have in place.  This is determined based upon the best interests of your child, which is defined by Minnesota statutes.


For more information on custody or to discuss your case with an attorney, please contact us directly.  Amanda Maenner and Kerry Minnich of Maenner Minnich PLLC are well-versed in custody and parenting time laws in Minnesota and can give you the guidance you need in your case.

For more information on custody and parenting time in Minnesota, please call or email our office.

"I was trying to find a lawyer for my sister in law. I reviewed many lawyers and they all pretty much said the same! Until I found Amanda! Her reviews were outstanding and even from opposing counsel' I knew I had to call her! Just like the reviews no nonsense approach very professional and her demeanor is always the same, both in court over the phone and in person. A true professional! I would recommend her to any of my colleagues without hesitation!"

Contact Maenner | Minnich

Maenner | Minnich PLLC
15600 Wayzata Boulevard
Suite 309
Wayzata, Minnesota 55391
(952) 777-2481

Contact Maenner Minnich

News & Resources

There are many resources available to the public that can assist you in making more informed decisions at the beginning or during your family law matter.

Minnesota Statutes

Other Resources